Sunday, October 11, 2009

1-9-2009 Capital Reef National Park Utah














Today I drove 3 hours to Capital Reef National Park. I was feeling ok, and the knee was getting better. Either that, or I was taking enough pain killers to be able to walk. I decided to do a hike and look for a good back country place to camp for the evening. I hiked to a natural stone bridge. You have to see the pictures. This place is amazing. Utah is pretty much filled with several different kinds of rock formations to look at. While on my hike, I found a perfect camping spot right next to the natural bridge. It was till early, and I didn’t have my gear with me so I had to head back to the car. I heard that one of the rangers (astronomer) was giving a demonstration that night. I really wanted to hear what she had to say and see what she wanted to show us, So I decide to set up the campsite in the dark and go to this first. I had some time before sundown, so I drove the 10 mile scenic drive. The sun was just setting so this was an amazing experience. I made it back just in time for dinner and then off to the stargazing. The ranger had some pretty interesting things to show us. Capital Reef is one of the darkest and best places to stargaze. They have very little light pollution which made for a great experience. After the viewing, I had to make it back to my campsite. I got pretty lost trying to hike miles into the total darkness, but I eventually found my way. I set up the tent and stargazed a bit more.
The next day I woke up before sunrise to be able to experience the whole thing. It’s pretty amazing to be able to camp right next to a national monument. Especially for free. I caught the sunrise and then headed back to my car. Later that morning I decided to do another hike to the top of the rock formations to see what the view was like. Just at expected, it was amazing. I hiked for a few hours and then headed to my next destination, Canyon Lands National Park Utah. I made it about an hour away when I decided to get a night of R&R and heat, so I purchased a campsite with power. This is a pretty shady campsite, So I hope I make it out alive.








No comments:

Post a Comment