Monday, October 5, 2009

10-1-2009 New Mexico Carlsbad Caverns National Monument











After a long drive and a bad nights sleep in the shadiest gas station parking lot I have ever been to, I arrived in New Mexico. My first stop was Carlsbad Caverns National Monument. This place blows away any cave I have ever been to. I thought Lurray Caverns in VA was good, this place was amazing. The great room inside was over 14 football fields big. After touring the cave for about 2 hours, I decided to check in with the park rangers and get my back country camping permit. Here you can go on a hike and camp out in the wilderness for free. Considering my tight budget, this was pretty appealing. I went to Rattlesnake Canyon for the hike. I really prayed that the canyon didn’t live up to its name as I was planning on sleaping there. Luckily I didn’t get bit by a snake. I had an amazing view of the sunset from my car. I had to sleep there because I had some issues with my tent. I made my way a mile into the hike and found the perfect spot., Only to find out that I left my poles in the car. I left all of my gear and sprinted back to the car. I was in a race against the sun as it was setting in only 20 minutes. I made it back to the car only to find out that my poles were nowhere to be found. So then I had to sprint back to the campsite and gather my gear only to sprint back to the car. I made it just before I was too dark to seee. You have to be very careful where you walk out here because the place is covered in cactus plants. After enjoying the sunset on the deserted desert, (unfortunately) slept in my car. It actually got down to the 30’s that night. I was absolutely freezing. The next morning I spent 2 hours rearranging the trailer and finding my poles. Being homeless is pretty difficult, but it sure is fun. I then headed off to my next location, White Sands National Monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment