Sunday, October 11, 2009

10-8-2009 Red Canyon National Forrest, Bryce Canyon National Park Utah



Today I drove to Bryce Canyon Utah. On my way, I noticed signes for Red Canyon National Forrest. I decided to pay it a visit. I hiked to the top to a scenic overlook spot to take some pictures. This place is a pretty good warm-up for Bryce. Later I arrived at Bryce Canyon. This is one of the premier national parks in Utah. It consists of thousands of Hoodos. Hoodos are rock formations formed by the freezing and thawing of rocks. This is possible because the canyon freezes over 200 nights a year. The rock thaws every day and pieces of it fall off forming the sculptures. They are like little sculptures each significantly different from the other. You have to see the pictures. I decided to hike down to Queens Garden. This is where the majority of the Hoodos are. There are thousands within a couple hundred yards. Once again, the pictures speak for themselves. I hiked for about 3 hours then packed up my gear to do an overnight back country hike at the swamp canyon inside of Bryce. The night got pretty cold (down to the 20’s). I pretty much froze. I need to get some better gear. The following day I hiked down the Navajo trail for about hours. This trail was amazing. It was a pretty steep decent and accent, but was well worth the effort. Later that day I headed over to my next destination, Capital Reef National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment