Sunday, October 11, 2009

10-3-2009 City of Rocks state park and Gila National Forrest New Mexico

















Today I made the drive to City of Rocks state park. This place is gorgeous. It had 3.5 miles of natural rock formations. The pictures say it all. I hiked around for an hour and headed out to Gila National Forrest. The drive to Gila was the most incredible drive I have ever made. At some points you could actually fall off the cliff and down seven thousand feet. I had to be very careful considering I had the trailer behind me. Once I made it to the forest, I set up the tent and worked on my blog for a bit. The sunset was pretty nice. I am very excited to explore the cliff dwellings and hot springs tomorrow.
Today I made the hike up to the cliff dwellings. These are ancient ruins from Native Americans many years ago. The hike was pretty cool. What was better was what I experienced next. After the hike, I headed down to the car and drove 3 miles to the natural hot springs. When I got there, I red the sign that said “clothing optional”. I thought nothing of it and proceeded to the springs. When I got there, I started talking to a couple that was soaking in the hot spring. We chatted for about 20 minute before they arose out of the water. Yep, they were completely naked. They then continued the conversation for about 30 more minutes, still naked. They gave me some good advice as to where to go next and headed on their way. I decided to spend the rest of the day driving to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. I made it to about an hour out when I stopped in at a local Walmart to sleep for the night. There were plenty of RV’s there, so this place looked safe. Tomorrow I will hike the grand canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment