Sunday, October 11, 2009

10-2-2009 White Sands National Monument New Mexico

***Some of the images in this blog are pictures I found on the internet. I do not claim ownership of any of this photos in any of my blog posts. They are only examples of where I have been****






I made it to the park about 3 hours before sundown. Today I will experience my first back country camping trip. I checked in with the ranger and got my pass to hike/camp. I headed to the campground parking lot and notice some people dune surfing. Since I had a trailer full of all of my sporting equipment, I just so happened to have a boogie board that I could use. I surfed for about an hour before I had to hike to my campsite for the night This place is amazing. I have never seen so many pure white sand dunes in my life. I hiked about a mile out to my spot and set up the tent. The sunset came next and was incredible. It seamed to last for hours. While enjoying the sunset, a nice family came up to talk to me. The were asking about my trip and had some suggestions as to where to go next. I seem to be leaving my travels up to people advice that I meet along the way. He was raving about Gila National Forest. He told me that there was amazing cliff dwellings and natural hot springs. Since he chewed my ear off about the place, I decided to pay it a visit. Camping was going well until the sandstorm hit. I was awakened by my tent flipping over with me in it. I feared that I was in the middle of a tornado. You have to see the video attached. After packing all of my gear in the collapsed tent, I hiked my way back to the car only to beet the rainstorm that was headed our way. The good thing about being homeless, is that you can simply pack up and head to good weather. Today I will head to City of Rocks state park and Gila National Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment